March 10, 2016

Chai Masala #1

I was looking around the web, looking for something yummy to drink, and I stumbled across Chai Masala. Chai Masala is an indian tea made of spices, milk and sugar.
And I foundt that there must be equal as many recipes as there are moms in India!
So today I'm trying out one of the recipes I found.

Chai Masala recipe #1
1,5 cm cinnamon stick, broken
3 black peppercorns
4 green cardamom pods, crushed
1 dl water
4 cloves
3 teaspoons of sugar
1 dl milk (I used lactose free, 1,5% fat)
1 bag of black unflavored tea

Add the spices and water to a small pot, bring to a boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the milk and sugar, bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
Add the tea and let steep for 1-5 minutes (depends on what tea you have).
Give it a god stir, strain the tea and serve.
Enjoy!


It's nice and creamy, the taste of the cloves and sugar is quite dominant.
The next time I think I'll let the tea steep a bit longer, and maybe cut down on the sugar. 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons will probably do it. And maybe I'll crush all the spices coarsely in the mortar, to free more of their aroma.

But all in all, a very good Chai Masala!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!